Our webcam is situated on the 16th floor of the Solar Tower, the view is magnificent from there. Visitors of the KAGAN have a look from the 17th and 18th floor!
In November 1944, the air strikes by the Royal Air Force destroyed 70 per cent of the old town.
Although the consequences for the historic townscape was devastating, the rebuilding of Freiburg is today considered an example of successful urban redevelopment after the Second World War. The responsible architect was Joseph Schlippe, in charge of rebuilding Freiburg between 1946 and 1951 and subsequently the chair of the State Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments.
The responsible architect was Joseph Schlippe, in charge of rebuilding Freiburg between 1946 and 1951 and subsequently the chair of the State Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments. Schlippe was strongly against redeveloping the city “in a radically new fashion”; instead, his plans followed the historic townscape, based on the cross-shaped layout established by the Dukes of Zähringen. The idea was to integrate the few remaining buildings that had been spared from destruction into the reconstructed city.
The Historical Merchants’ Hall is a good example. The four distinctive towers in the picture all escaped destruction during the war. 116 metres tall, the cathedral tower is a real eye catcher. To the right are the Schwabentor and the Martinstor, the two remaining city gates. To the very right you can see the university tower, which once was home to the campus prison. The hills behind the cathedral are part of the Schlossberg, where in the 11th century the Dukes of Zähringen had their own castle built.
Text: Jan Schwab